Timberon Golf Course

The Timberon Golf Course is a 9 hole course situated in central Timberon at an elevation of 7150 feet. Many of the greens, and the driving range, have a 360° view of the Sacramento Mountain Range.
The Pro Shop opens Memorial Day and stays open through the Labor Day Weekend. A drop-box for greens fees is available ($10.50 per player) at the Pro Shop for off-season golfers.

click on the pictures to enlarge

Or take a video tour…


A message from Stu Iverson:
If you have attended recent TWSD meetings, or have read the minutes that are available, you are aware that there is significant concern regarding the lack of use of our Golf Course.  The golf course is a major asset in our community and it would be beneficial to find ways to help maintain and improve it. Through our efforts we anticipate an increase in play from the Timberon residents and their guests but more importantly, we will bring players and revenue from outside Timberon.

10,000 U.S. citizens are reaching retirement age every day and many will desire what Timberon has to offer in the way of weather, environment and recreation.

The residents of Alamogordo, Holloman AFB and other desert communities will desire to play golf in the cool Sacramento Mountains so long as the quality of play is worth the trip.

Currently there is approximately $30,000.00 in the TWSD budget for annual expenses related to the golf course. Total income from player’s fees is estimated to be less than $1,000 for this year. Additional ways need to be found to make this valuable asset not only a more productive part of our community but self-sustaining.   We need volunteers to step forward and donate time to help out.  If you are not able to donate time, please share this web page (using the sharing links below) and/or print it for your friends who are without Internet access.

For information about volunteering to help with the Timberon Golf Course, please contact Stu at (214) 868-9928,  or email at  Stu Iverson


Golf Course Meeting Minutes 9-26-13
Download a copy here

Attendees: Ronnie Wyatt, Bill Morrell, Arden Schug, Stu & Joan Iverson, Pete & Joyce Jankiewicz, John Thorell, Dennis Fellows, Kent Huisingh, Frederic & Joy Alden, Mike Rodriguez, Dave Eerkes

Purpose: To support the Golf Course with Volunteer Power,

Summary:
Thanks were extended to

  • BF Adams  & Nan Thorell for posting the previous Meeting Notes and  Golf Course Video, created by Kirk Iverson on Joyce’s video camera
  • Work done on and for the Golf Course by Water & Sanitation employees, Ronnie, Bill and John
  • Pete Jankiewicz for volunteering to Schedule Tournaments and other events

Bringing Golf Course to Good Playable Condition and Maintenance:

  • Ronnie addressed problems concerning Keeping the Golf Course Watered and how this balances with the Water needs of the Timberon Residents.  Main source of water is the Springs.  Water availability is influenced by the winter snowfall, implementation of grants to replace infrastructure and getting new software to work properly. Ronnie will obtain a dollar amount to be set aside for updating heavy equipment and Cost of Renting Carts for events.
  • John lead the discussion regarding the need for additional/or replacement of  heavy equipment, provided research on cost of used equipment, reducing the areas needing mowing, adding sand traps and making the course more like a “Links” course. John will provide a Calendar of Maintenance Tasks from October to April. Pete will assist John with these tasks, with the idea towards taking the lead the following year.  Mike was volunteered by Pete to assist with Maintenance.
  • Cows on the course are an unresolved issue. Big BBQ was recommended a possibility.
  • Ronnie confirmed that there are 5 working Golf Carts.  Pete suggested charging an Annual Trail Fee for using another type of acceptable vehicle and renting additional carts for events.  It was also mentioned to increase the Golf Fees, which are now $10.50 for 9 holes plus $8.00 for a Cart and Ronnie has the final decision for this area.
  • Volunteers will be staffing the Pro Shop from mid-May to End of October and an active phone will be turn on with call forwarding and/or voice mail.  Pro-Shop’s Operating hours will depend on Volunteer participation.  Joan will begin a Staffing Schedule in April.  Ronnie will have the phone connected (beginning May), with a Call Forwarding Feature.
  • Mike and Pete will collect donated Golf Clubs for use as Rentals at the Pro Shop.
  • Kent volunteered to remove dead trees.  Some trees may be used to define cart paths
  • Cosmetic repairs, such as flag replacement and signage updating, was discussed.  Maintenance of Ball Washes, Cart Paths and Bathroom (6th hole) repair was also discussed (Volunteers Needed)

Scheduling of Events, Marketing, Advertising and Logistics:

  • Pete, who has successfully managed many Golf Course Tournaments in the past, will be drafting a Calendar of Events, Managing the Events.
  • Frederic will identify and review the web sites where the Timberon Golf Course is mentioned and/or missing.  Joan can use her time in the Pro Shop to update these sites.
  • Marketing Ideas (Volunteers needed to assist Pete)
    • Upcoming season to be marketed as a “Grand Reopening”
    • Post on “Bulletin”  Boards for different towns
    • Print and Post Flyers for distribution
    • Construction of a Substantial Stand-alone sign to put at CloudCroft turn off to Timberon
    • Events types mentioned were: Saturday Scrambles, Fins & Skins, Challenge (other Clubs)
    • For those who want to help out, but can’t do volunteer work, they can help by emailing their friends to talk about the improved conditions happening in the 2014 season and/or send donations to the upcoming Golf Course fund (see Fund Raising section)
    • Post a sign at the Pro Shop that A Tee Time and Cart can be reserved by calling Debbie at the Water Department and state the advance time needed to make the reservation.

Fund Raising:

  •  Joy suggested we establish a Golf Course Improvement Fund and Timberon Development Council was designated to collect donations for equipment and/or a Golf Course Web Cam.  Christie Braddick was volunteered to manage the funds.  Nan Thorell was volunteered to post and update a visual scale of funds collected.

Miscellaneous:

  • Dennis will contact Sprint to determine if that company has plans to provide Cell Phone service in Timberon Area.

Subsequent event:

  • Stu obtained contact information for the owners of the Liquor License at the High Country Lounge.  Stu will contact these people to garner their support and preparations for future Golf Events.  He will also suggest The Lounge add a device to their WiFi, so patrons can use their cel phones there.

 

(Next Meeting to be determined)


Previous Meetings:
(initial) Golf Meeting 9-5-13